YOU WILL NEED
230g Plain Flour
125g Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature
2 tsps Baking Powder
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Salt
- 75g Golden Caster Sugar
- 100g Salted Chilled Butter
- 140g Self-Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1tsp Cinnamon
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 110g Soft Brown Sugar
- 250g Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature
- 400g Icing Sugar
- 2 tspb Whole Milk
SERVINGS: MAKES 12 CUPCAKES
Preheat the oven to 170oC.
For the cupcakes:
- Start by making the apple mixture. Peel, core and then chop the apples into little squares.
- Place in a large saucepan with enough water to cover them and simmer for 5-7 minutes until soft, and then leave until cool.
- Cream together butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, then vanilla extract until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and gently mix until combined.
- Carefully fold in the apple mix.
- Spoon the mixture into a lined cupcake tin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Next make the crumble topping!
- In a large bowl, rub together the butter, flour, cinnamon and vanilla until nice and crumbly, and then stir in the sugar.
- Spread the crumble mix onto a lined baking tray and bake for 5-10 minutes until just golden.
For the icing:
- Beat together the butter and brown sugar with the cinnamon and vanilla extract, for 5-7 minutes until fully combined and light and fluffy.
Building the cupcakes:
- Once the cupcakes and crumble are fully cooled, spoon the icing into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
- Spread a small amount of icing on the top of each cupcake, and add the crumble mixture.
- Using the piping bag, pipe a small swirl of icing onto the top of the crumble on each cupcake. Top with a small sprinkle of crumble, and enjoy!